The Special Cell for RTI is established at the Academy during March 2004, to train the Public Information Officers and Appellate Authorities in the state for effective implementation of Maharashtra Right to Information Act, 2002. The cell has taken up varied related activities and has been entrusted with national level responsibilities. This cell has developed as a Centre for Right to Information in 2011 (Office Order No.Admin-1/1210/Revised Structure dated 24.11.2011).
Organising training programmes, workshops and consultation meets related to RTI Developing training modules and reading materials carrying out research and evaluation studies and documentation activities. Publications with CGG & under UNDP A Manual for Public Authorities Public Information Officers & Appellate Authorities the Right to Information Act 2005: A Guide for Media, A Guide for Civil Society Organisation Annual Report of Information Commission: A Guide A Handbook for Trainers: the Right to Information Act, 2005, have complied a Digest of Case Laws on RTI. Also completed one comparative study of RTI rules. Centre for Right to Information has carried out training programs and important initiative as below during the year 2013-14:-
Right to Information Act training related initiatives.
1.Organized DoPT sponsored 1 National Level Workshop on the theme "Best Practices on RTI" (7th September, 2013) 18 participants from all over India participated in the workshop. Mr. Ratnakar Gaikwad, State Chief Information Commissioner of Maharashtra & Mr. Manoj Joshi, Joint Secretary, DoPT, Government of India were present as Chief Guests. Centre has also organized 2 Regional Level Workshop on the theme "Suo-Moto Disclosure Challenges and Constraints" on 20th December, 2013, 89 participants participated from 5 States i.e. Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Dadara Nagar Haveli & Diu Daman, Mr. Shailesh Gandhi, Former Central Information Commissioner Presided over the workshop. And also organized State Level Workshop on the theme "Best Practices on RTI" on 26th February, 2014, 96 participants participated from all over Maharashtra, Mr. Ratnakar Gaikwad, State Chief Information Commissioner of Maharashtra was present as Chief Guest.
- 2.Conducted 7 batches of Certificate Course in Right to Information (Distance Course) 186 citizens from all walks of life completed this course. Also under Central Plan Schemes 2013-14 conducted 2 batches for Persons with Differently Abled and Women Self Help Groups (109 Participants).
- 3.Implemented GoI Scheme of 'Improving Transparency and Accountability in Government through effective implementation of Right to Information Act 2005' and trained 3551 officers of State Government and also trained 62 District Resource Persons. Total 76 Outreach Training programmes was conducted.
- 4.Implemented GoM State Project under plan funds for effective implementation of 'Right to Information Act 2005' and trained 5784 Officers and Staff of State Government in Mantralaya Mumbai & Home Department, etc. Total 76 Outreach Training programs are conducted.
- 5.Conducted 5 in-house training programme on RTI, Citizen Charter & Record Management, sponsored by DoPT-ATI– 105 Participants are trained.
- 6.Conducted 2 sponsored trainings for Nuclear Power Corporation of India, Tarapur, Thane, Participants- 58.
- 7.YASHADA supported to National Federation of Information Commission in India, (NFICI) for Web Portal. And also created 4 issues of News Letters on RTI for NFICI.
- 8.Centre Mandates for 2014-15 will be 200 training programme and 15000 trainees to train on RTI’s issues.